ST. JOHN'S PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL CHURCH, PORTSMOUTH HAS HAD IT'S LOCATION CHANGE AND BEEN ENTIRELY REBUILT DURING 1896-1898 PERIOD. The old brick building and lot on court street were sold and a stone church erected on the corner of London and washington streets. It was dedicated Sept. 1, 1898.
In 1896 St. John's church reported to the convention 76 communications. This year (1900) it will report about 175, again of over 100 percent. in the last four years. St. John's has it's mission in the rapidly growing suburb of Port Norfolk. The value of St. John's church property including lot for parish buildings in 1900 was $31,000.
The old church was established in 1848 and the church building was created may 29, 1850.
The first rector was Rev. James Chisholm who died of yellow fever sept 15 1855. then followed Rev. Robert Jope from march 1856 to dec 1858.
There are two Episcopal churches & 2 missions in St. Bride's Parish: but for many years the church work in this parish was extinct. The first church was built in 1662 at Great Bridge, on the Great Road just opposite the point where the New Mill Creek Road joins the great highway to NC. Rev. James Pasteur was the first pastor 1774. It is said that the funeral rites of Capt. Fordyce, the english officer, who was killed in the battle of Great Bridge, took place in this church, and that the Rev. Hamilton Rowland, Grandfather of Thomas B. Rowland of Norfolk officiated.
MEAD NOTES: ACT OF ASSEMBLY IN 1761, WHICH carved it out of Elizabeth River parish.
Some Ministers Rev. Emanuel Jones Jr. 1776 & Rev. Needler Robinson for only one year. The church went into not being used and was torn down in 1845.
Rev. Robert Gatewood establishes St. Pauls church in Berkley in 1872. reviving the work of st. bride's parish, afterward st. Thomas Church was organized and since two missions st. mary's and money point whave been established. Rev. E. C Burr was the first rector of St. Thomas church he was succeeded by Rev. J.R. Hubert. D.D. and Rev. HS. Lancaster the recotor in 1900 was Clarence N. Conant.
MEAD: PORTSMOUTH PARISH, NORFOLK COUNTY
REV. CHARLES SMITH WAS IT'S MINISTER WHEN HE DIED IN 1773.
REV. WILLIAM BRAIDFOOT a native of scotland was minister in 1774. He married a Miss Moseley of PAC and left one son whose decendents in 1850 were living in Portsmouth.
MR. Braidfoot was succeeded by the Rev. Arthur Emmerson, son of one of the same name who minister of the EASTERN SHORE. The son was minister in Meherrin parish, Greensville and in Nansemond before coming to Portsmouth Parish in 1785. He ministered there from that time until 1801 much esteemed as man and minister thought feeble health unable to lead an active life. his was widow of the Rev. John Nivison. He was followed by the Rev. George Young who continued until 1808. after his death or resignation there was a vacancy until the year 1821 when REV MR. WINGFIELD began is labours in that parish.